Wednesday 21 December 2011

On the fifth day of Christmas

I thought it would be tough to meet today's wordcount target of 5,000 words, but as soon as I got into the flow of the story, it flew from my fingers onto the keyboard.  And I thoroughly enjoyed today's challenge - from dealing with switching viewpoints as well as timeframes, to developing my characters further, and finding new sides to them.

I beat my wordcount challenge once again, but this time by 14 little words. So total wordcount today was 5,014 words, and  I punched it out in roughly under 4 hours, averaging at over 1,000 words an hour. I still need to speed it up a bit, although sometimes that raises the inevitable question of speed vs. quality. At the moment, I'm getting the words out at a reasonable pace, and the quality seems pretty good. I wonder if I speed up, will the quality drop? I guess I'll have to try and push myself and see what happens. After all, the whole point of this exercise was purely to produce a rough first draft. 

Still I'm amazed that I'm actually doing it, meeting the challenge head on. Tomorrow I push it up a notch, with a target of 6,000 words. Onward and upwards.

Lorraine x 

No comments:

Post a Comment